Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Color negs on black and white paper
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 12:51:32 -0800

Ken Wilcox wrote:

> Roland:
>
> I just made the print this morning and stacked a #5 with a #2. I don't know
> if the contrast equaled a 7 but it was defiantly much greater than the 5
> alone.
>
> Ken Wilcox
>
> At 8:36 -0800 1/23/0, a fine scholar, Roland Smith wrote:
>
> >My Ilford filter kit has only grades 1 thru 4.   If I stack a 4 and a 3 can
> >I get the same result as a 7?
> >
> >Roland Smith
>
> ----
> Ken Wilcox                                Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
>                                           preferred---> <wilcox@tir.com>
>                                           <kwilcox@gfn.org>

My guess is you are in effect creating a neural density with the yellows of the
#2 against the magentas of the #5.
Get a new Ilford set that goes from 0-5 it's not all that expensive. Your set
has got to be an antique and wont match your paper as well.
I've made nice prints with an old Aristo cold light on Multigrade with NO filter
from a color neg which is my usual approach to being in the unfortunate position
have having to make a quality black and white print from a color neg.
This was from my "best shot" and I have printed this neg in every conceivable
way on every conceivable size.
And this has worked better than Panalure
Mark Rabiner
I'm looking forward to outputting some old soft crappy color neg (VPS?) stuff
onto black and white film after scanning it on my Umax PowerlookIII flatbed
which gives me files in the hundreds of megabytes. Think this will work?