Subject: [Leica] Camera / lens
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:51:31 +0000

>>>the reason we use the M is not the camera, its the lenses which have
transcended time with their wonderful resolution capabilities.<<<

I don't agree.

I started out thinking (in about 1986) that the whole point of the Leica
M was the lenses, and that the camera was an antiquated, awkward body
you had to put up with use the lenses. I now feel I was completely,
180-degrees wrong. The camera is the only one that has ever functioned
as a teacher to me--it improved my shooting skills. It taught me to pay
attention to nailing just the right moment; the value of stealth or
surreptitiousness; the value of wearing a camera all day, every day; how
not to rely too much on the viewfinder; how to depend on my own
judgement rather than the automated judgements of the camera; and it
taught me how much the simple enjoyment of working a fine mechanism can
improve photography!

The lenses are nice. But the camera is the thing to me.

In fact, I should write an editorial arguing that EVERY photographer
should use an M camera for a year as a part of his or her education. I
actually do believe that!

- --Mike