Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux result???? -filters
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:36:43 -0500

At 06:50 AM 1/23/2000 +0000, D Khong wrote:

>I've used my Noctilux with and without the filter on, and frankly folks, I
>cannot tell the difference between the two situations.  Whatever perceived
>degradation is, IMHO, only dandruff deep.

It is the other way around, Dan.  The degradation caused by filters is
real, but only can be seen when REALLY large blow-ups are made.  For normal
use (4" by 5" to some, 5" by 7" to others, even 8" by 10" to yet others),
it probably isn't observable.  But try a 20" by 24" full-frame blow-up,
though, and you'll note a difference.

It all comes down to those who absolutely, positively must have absolute
optical perfection.  Those guys will never use a filter without a
colour-correction reason or the like.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!