Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux result????
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:09:15 -0500

Yeah, well, ever the apostate . . .

When I first got the lens, I ran a roll using the lens with and w/o a
filter under the same circumstances.  I can't tell the difference--though I
freely grant there may be one.  A filter reduces *my* stress level
considerably.

In the series that I've been working on for some time, documenting life
(such as it is) in my local, I often find myself offering to let subjects
handle the camera--even to bang off a shot or two (I've got dozens of
out-of-focus images of yours truly).  To the extent that this demystifies
the whole business, it helps folk simply to relax around me and the
camera.  I can't tell you the amount of spilt beer or wine, the number of
fingerprints and smudges, that I've wiped off that filter.  I'm not sure
that I'd convey the correct impression if I stiffened anytime someone asked
to look at the camera (which would surely be my response with an
unprotected element).  Instead, I adopt a sort of insouciant calm and
slide, hand, or otherwise pass that baby along.  The fractional optical
degradation that the filter causes, I think, is more than compensated for
by the number of shots I've gotten because people are comfortable in my
presence.

It's a choice that I happily make.

Chandos

At 03:17 PM 1/22/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>At 02:18 PM 22/01/2000 -0500, Chandos wrote:
>>And, for what it's worth, all my Nocti images are shot through a B&W MC
>>UV filter.
>
>Now that should raise a few eyebrows on the LUG ... ;)

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown