Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Tests?
From: "Esa Harma" <esa.harma@nic.fi>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:53:28 +0200

- -----Original Message-----
From: A.H.SCHMIDT <horsts@primus.com.au>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: 21. tammikuuta 2000 6:27

> exactly my sentiments. Those numbers are a lot of crap. What is the
difference
>between a lens of 9.5 and 9.6?     0.1 you say. Of course ,but what does it
mean?
>Was one lens 10c cheaper than the other? Did one lens have one line less
>resolution ?  I can not see, how anyone can give a lens, or anything else
for that
>matter, a rating like this and then try to make us believe the one with 9.6
is
>better.  This people are playing with themselves.

Some people (especially the Germans) like to judge accurately with numbers.
I believe
all lenses in those tests were excellent.

>Look if I use a lens and if produces the result I like, then I rate it as a
10, if
>it does not,
>then I rate it as a 0.

Think digitally?

> You ask: "Were there any bad lenses listed there?" Of course not. The
advertising
>revenue would also go down to a lower rating and  the Tester would look for
a new
>job.

Jee, but the numbers give you guidance on which camera/lens to buy ....

>The  Price versus performance rating is also a lot of crap.

But you should somehow be prepared to justify the 3x price of Leica ....

In this rating, a
>single meniscus
>(Box brownie Lens) would have to rate just about 10. The performance may be
low,
>but it hardly costs anything. so the rating is high. Regardless of the fact
that
>the results are low.
>
>Lenses made by today's standard and knowledge are all, without exception,
high
>quality and performance lenses.  You may prefer one lens over the other,
but that
>is a personal preference. Anyone quoting values all within a small margin,
is just
>interested to fill some empty space in a magazine. For the really
technically
>minded, Erwin Puts test are the ones to read.

Correction: "For the really Leica-minded, Ervin ..".

>Regards, Horst Schmidt

best regards,

Esa