Subject: [Leica] Lens test comparison Erwin vs. BAS
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de (Hans-Peter.Lammerich)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:09:49 +0100

Erwin's narrative, in-depth analysis of a lens' optical performance and
character is a very demanding reading. In contrast to that BAS concludes with an
easily understandable, two digit rating. However, there are a quite a number of
performance indicators, e.g. contrast, resolution, MTF which can be measured at
varying f-stops, focussing distance, distance from optical axis or, in case of
zoom lenses, focal length. In addition to that there are centering, vignetting,
distortion, neutral colours etc.. Even with a simplified test schedule, e.g.
only three f-stops etc., you get at least 100 values which have to be
aggregated. It's not easy to develop a system of weighing factors that
adequately reflect a typical photographer's preferences.

The one problem I have with BAS tests is the scale he using to rate the lenses.
Even a cheap 28-300 zoom gets at least 8.4 whilst a new Elmar 50/2.8 or a
Tri-Elmar gets 9.0. The 9.9 for the complex super wide R 19/2.8 is a big
surprise. Does this mean the Elmars are only 7% better than the 28-300 and the
2.8/19 is 10% better than the Elmar?

Production tolerances are another problem. Sometimes you find a comparison
between third party lenses with identical designs, presumably from the same
manufacturer, but with different badges. And then the rating may differ by 0.1
or 0.3 points. I even remember a comparison between a Leica and Minolta badged
70-210 zoom, with the "Leica" one being some 0.1 or 0.2 points better.

Another question I have is how the lenses perform when they are used and get
old, particular zoom lenses with a complex system of gears and cams to move the
lens groups?

Hans-Peter