Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica & Pentax
From: Joe Brugger <jbrugger@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:24:42 -0800

LUGgers:
  My Spotmatic Fs are nice and well-built. Paid for themselves many times over,
but:
 Lens quality across the line was inconsistent, ranging from excellent to
better-than-Vivitar. The barrels seem indestructible. My 85/1.8 is marvelous
and my 28/3.5 was never more than adequate. All of them benefitted from
stopping down to 5.6 or 8. The 300/4 is great at 5.6, etc. Have no idea what
the K-mounts are like because I eventually needed motors that worked. The Spot
Fs are still on the shelf.
 What sent me to an M2 (bought at Malone's in Dayton OH in the mid-70s for less
than $500, with a Summicron) was the need to photograph quietly, at slow
shutter speeds, without distracting people. So, a Spotmatic
was all the camera I needed about 70% of the time. The M2 with a 50 was all I
needed about half of the time.

Joe