Subject: Re: [Leica] Put Up or Shut Up (RANT!)
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:30:28 -0800

Stephen Gandy wrote:
>however, while I am doing that, who are those
>anonymous "engineers" you talk about who believe
>the M6 is a better built camera?  names and phone numbers.
>you know the drill.

Stephen, Mark, Mike, Erwin...

Sometimes Stephanie and I stop in the middle of one of
our heated "discussions" and one of us says, you know,
this is a really *stupid* argument that we're having.
And the other one sighs, and thinks, and smiles, and
we talk about something interesting.

Well, guess what...

This is a *stupid* argument, as you've all chosen your
positions and NO ONE is adding substantive new evidence.
I don't CARE whether an M4 is "better" than an M6. I don't
think any LUGgers but you guys do, either. I (and I expect
many others) am interested in the DIFFERENCES and would
enjoy owning and USING both an M4 and an M6. Each model has
strengths and weaknesses. Uh, like, duh. Better and worse?
You guys are smart, so why can't you see that these terms
are f#*$*$# SUBJECTIVE. Tastes differ. End of discussion.

Write poetry about how great your M4 feels or about how
the M6 meter saved (or failed) your ass under some interesting
shooting situation. Tell me about the quirks of a particular
lens and how to work around or leverage those quirks. Tell
me about how your slides on the light table were instantly
recognized by an AD as "somehow... different!" from 5 others'
transparencies - that were all taken using 4x5 field cameras.

But stop parading your expert witnesses. They are boring
without names, and they will be boring with names.

Thanks (for everything else - which is a substantial bit!).

Alexey