Subject: Re: [Leica] "pancake" lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:11:06 -0800

Lucien wrote:

> Gaifana@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Why hasn't someone made a GN lens for M mount? That would solve a lot of
> > flash problems, eliminate the need for TTL or autoflash circuitry and
> > generally take better flash pictures with less dependence on subject
> > reflectivity.
>
> That's sound a good idea.
>
> Lucien

We already know that a GN or "blitz" lens is not always the same as a pancake
lens as a pancake lens is just short while a blitz lens has a mechanical linkage
between your F stops and your focusing. But a few pancakes are also blitzes
apparently. Both great with maple syrup!

While a thyristor or sensor system can be fooled thrown off like any meter by
shooting people dressed in white or black or standing up against white walls or
mirrors the blitz lens or a distance system would not be so fooled.

But much of my use of my pancake lens depended on having a battery pack attached
to my flash.
Since you are using it on manual, the flash is not partially dumping on closer
shots recyling faster and saving batteries, it is doing a full dump the whole
range from 3 feet to infinity. Or maybe you have it set at half power.
So you get consistent recyle times but a more demanding use of a system than the
modern compact flash with no axillary battery backup and less need for it as a
compact thyristor sensor system has an inferred use of close-in early cut off
flashes of extremely short duration. 1/20,000 of a second.

IF you are doing many full dump far away shots you need a system with the big
batteries anyway.
Mark Rabiner