Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: John Collier's post
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:48:44 +0100

Mike Johnston wrote:

> And as for a litmus test of the aesthetic elements of "build quality,"
> consider the "Leica" top-plate engravings. This adds nothing at all to
> the form and function of the camera, but most agree that it's
> aesthetically pleasing.

Ha! If we are discussing top plate finish, engravings (and
red dot),
then there is no doubt for me:

The M2/3/4 are so much nicer aesthetically speaking than the M6TTL!

It's hard to believe there is somebody in charge of the M6
design in Solms.
It's a patchwork of mirror coating, red dot, LEICA (engraved
3 times).
"There is no room for the new electronic? OK, no problem,
make it 2 mm taller.
Who care ?" "The battery ? stick it on the front"
"Make the flash shoe only in chrome (M6TTL), it will be easier"
"Hey guys, please glue a red dot where whe can see it"
etc...

Strange, because when you look at the R8, even if you don't
like it, you can see there is somebody in charge of its design.
But the way they attached the leather hand strap to the new
Motor drive make me believe he is not there anymore.

Lucien