Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions for Steve AND Erwin re new rangefinders
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:39:15 EST

And I don't think the current Leica dealers would really mind if Leica went
direct. All three of the local ones have complained (within earshot) that
they get screwed on margins. It has a lot to do with used sales moving to the
internet, which eliminated profitable tradeins. Except for KEH, which seems
to make a living selling used current Leica items for 80-105% of their price
new.

My strong suspicion is that the mythical M7 or M6e will be outsourced, and
that it may  shed some light on why the Hexar RF was so reticent about
advertising Leica kompatibility and why its rangefinder is so M-like. Also
the absence of TTL flash. It may simply be a stripped-down Leica. Remember,
Leicas patents may be up but they were still free a few years ago to contract
for the use of their designs - Konica may have traded some features on its
own model for a contract to make them for Leica, regardless of patent issues.

In a message dated 1/20/00 12:38:31 AM, leicanikon@earthlink.net writes:

<<

John Collier wrote:

> on 19/1/00 9:06 pm, Stephen Gandy at leicanikon@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > Perhaps it would be a good time to bring out a
> > CL2.   A new small compact M would be lower priced, and offer definite
choices
> > to the buyer between a CL2 and a M6.
> >
> > The entry level M  could be sold to the newbie with "Would you rather buy
> > COSINA or a real Leica for only $250 more?"   The experienced M user would
> > have
> > it all figured out, and just go for it.
>
> I always thought, and I thought you did too Stephen, that the CL
> single-handedly killed off the M5, all but destroyed the regular M sales and
> did not make the company much money. Though I suppose M***** did okay. I am
> not arguing against it (or the CL for that matter) but perhaps Leica is
> feeling once bitten twice shy.
>
> John Collier

I agree with the M5 and CL.    the problem is that Leica needs an entry level
which 1) can successfully compete against the Bessa M 2) does not alienate M6
TTL
buyers

for all practical purposes,   the Bessa M is an  updated CL in a different
shape --
still low cost, more framelines, better RF/VF, but still not able to focus
fast or
long lenses

If Leica sells a stripped down M6 TTL without flash metering  for the price
necessary to compete with the Bessa, it will have to lower the M6 TTL price
or piss
a lot of people off.

of course, Leica could do probably do that if they eliminated the overhead of
their
dealer network and sold directly to the buyer over the internet -- like
Gateway or
Dell.  a hidden benefit would be much better cash flow, since retail payment
would
occur before shipment. unfortunately for everyone, I doubt very much if Leica
management is that far sighted.

Stephen Gandy

</XMP>