Subject: Re: [Leica] Which fast 50mm?
From: LawsonCL@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 02:18:30 EST

michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

<< I really think this is true. It is superlative from f/2 to f/4, very
 good (but not better than certain others) thereafter. f/2 is a very
 usable aperture with the Summicron. >>

I recently bought an 50mm f/2 Summicron one and am impressed.
However, it does alliviate the desire for an f/1.0 lens. I think this minor
obsession can be traced to the old Canon f/0.95. The appeal is not unlike
that of my long-departed 1979 CBX. While truly a wonder in its time, today it
is easily bested in every performance category by motorcycles barely half its
displacement. Of course, none can compete with sheer outrageous statement of
a 24-valve, transverse six-cylinder engine that sounds for all the world like
a Formula 1 race car engine revved in anger.

Chris Lawson