Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposure for eclipse of moon ?
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:33:27 +0000

I don't think that an eclipse of the moon can be effectively photographed.
I saw one in London a few years ago on an unusually clear night.
The atmosphere was fantastic, eerie, threatening. An irrational feeling of
relief when the Moon reappeared.
We were on the roof of this building, a neighbour had a powerful telescope
on a tripod.
The moon looked startling, I can see it now. But it was the strange subtlety
of colour and texture, and the way that it changed with the sublime motion
of the moon that made it special, rather than the actual sight of it.

Like many sunsets, maybe best to be there with no attempt to record it, it's
better that way. (Or am I just betraying a lack of respect for colour
photography, a poor mix of pigments, as opposed to a rich palette of
monochromatic texture and tone?).

I don't think we'll see much in Europe - I hope the Americas enjoy a clear
night.

Here's a press release about it, sorry if this is old info:

                         alex@zetetic.co.uk
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/