Subject: Re: [Leica] M Camera Reliability
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:25:56 -0500

At 11:50 AM 1/19/2000 -0800, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:
>A good friend of mine has been repairing Lieca's (professionally, that is
>the way he makes a living) for about 30 years.  He too has noted that the
>older M3s are Leica's finest mechanically engineered camera.  That is not to
>say the M6 is a bad camera, but only to say that the master craftsmen were
>still at Leica when the M3 was in production.
>
>As to Mr. Gandy being asked to name sources, that's an old lawyer's trick!
>Once named, they will be picked apart and condemned by M6 owners as heretics
>for mentioning that older M cameras are better built.  You know, basically
>the same as discrediting witnesses in court.....shades of Johnny Cochran.

After World War II, Leitz was induced to hire a number of disabled veterans
by the German government in return for tax breaks.  These fellows worked to
around the middle or late 1960's before retiring.  Yes, these men were fine
craftsmen quite devoted to their art.  But, also, understand that they
assembled Leicas as Hasselblads are assembled today:  with wooden hammers
at their work-stations.  When something didn't quite fit, you tapped it
into place.

The general myth is that the newer M3's and not the older ones are the best
built.  Having owned a slew of M3's, I will simply point out that the one I
have kept is a late DS, neither one of the older ones nor one of the newer
ones.

As to the last point, Pete, be real.  Citing an anonymous source is bunk,
as it makes it impossible to weigh the worth of the source or the
credibility of the evidence presented.  This is hardly a "lawyer's trick":
it is the manner in which all logical discourse is conducted.  Check out
academia.  Try turning in a term paper or Master's Thesis or PhD
Dissertation using anonymous sources ... or, for that matter, try turning
in the next paper you submit at your job with anonymous sources.  You will
have a VERY rude awakening the next morning!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!