Subject: Re: [Leica] f*** the gauntlet!
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:01:16 -0800

>In a message dated 1/18/00 6:26:29 PM, guybnt@idt.net writes:
>
><< your very presence here on this list (assuming you are all leica
>owners/users) would seem to suggest that you did feel your leica material
>was worth the cost, for whatever reason.
> >>

>I disagree somewhat. I really like my Leica rangefinder cameras and lenses.
>I'm fairly new to them but I'm pretty sold on them for a lot of reasons. But
>do I think they're worth the cost? I don't know about that. Yes, I believe my
>PHOTOGRAPHY is worth an investment of approximately $4,000 (so far) but I'm
>not convinced that every piece of equipment I bought was worth the price. I'm
>pretty satisfied with the price I paid for two used bodies ($600 for an M4P
>and $550 for an M3) but I have an awfully hard time justifying a $1,500 24mm
>lens on any basis other than I don't have a choice. If I want a 24mm that
>couples to my rangefinder there's only one game in town. Likewise with my
>35mm and 90mm. I consider the prices a bit steep but again, it's the price
>you pay for the rangefinder system. So, yes, I don't mind paying a chunk of
>change for the capabilities a rangefinder system offers but individually I
>think that if it weren't for the realities of economies of scale and the
>influence of supply and demand, the prices are a bit unjustified based just
>on performance.
>
>Bob (splitting hairs is a hobby of mine) McEowen

bob,

if the above is true, i ask again, why go with leica when there are other
well made, perfectly functional rangefinder cameras currently available?
leica prices are certainly steep, as you say, but that hasn't kept us from
buying leica cameras and lenses, overpriced though they may be. the fact
that we are willing to put out a fair amount of cash for these items
indicates - however much we complain about it - that to us they are indeed
'worth it.' otherwise, why not go with voigtlander, cosina, contax, konica
or whomever.

guy

p.s. for the $4000. you spent on used leicas, you could have bought a *new*
contax g2 and complete set of lenses, and still had some money left over
for film.