Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposure for eclipse of moon ?
From: Richard DeLuca <odyssey@spectra.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:20:15 +0500

Ted Grant wrote:
SNIP

>And
>I'd  bracket a couple of stops or times in both directions. Remember, we're
>moving, that's earth and so is the moon, so the longer the exposure the
>more egg shape you'll have, rather than a nice round moon.
>
>Now that's how I'd do it. However, as usual, there will be several methods
>offered. I suggest you take the advice of a regular astro shooter, as
>theirs will probably be more successful.
>ted

The best advice (as mentioned already by Ted) is to bracket your exposures.
And they are predicting a 'dark' eclipse.  Best photos will probably be
with cameras that are 'driven' to compensate for the moon's apparent
motion.  With a drive, you might even capture some of the brighter stars
nearby if the moon is particularly dark during totality.  I also think
wider shots of the eclipsed moon above a horizon scene might be
interesting.  But the most important thing to remember is that film's
cheap- bracket widely.

And again, a rewminder that there is pretty good material available online
about the eclipse, including how to photograph it, at:
http://www.skypub.com

Have fun, and dress WARM,
Rich