Subject: Re: [Leica] f*** the gauntlet!
From: John <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:12:19 -0500

Guy Bennett wrote:

> lugnutz,
>
> felt a need to weigh in on the 'gauntlet' question:
>
> G I V E I T A B R E A K !
>
> if you don't think that leica cameras/lenses/red dots/whatever produce
> *special* results (however you choose define that), why use them,
> especially as less expensive, equally functional (and arguably equally
> *special*) camera equipment is widely available?
>
> your very presence here on this list (assuming you are all leica
> owners/users) would seem to suggest that you did feel your leica material
> was worth the cost, for whatever reason.
>
> so what is the reason if image quality is not?
>
> yo, as it were.
>
> guy
While we all think our Leicas and Leica lenses are worth the cost and love
them dearly, this has no baring what ever on the question of their
superiority. I love mine and use it because I am so familiar with its
functions I can probably do all of them in my sleep.  I love my Leicas because
I can see through the viewfinder with my glasses on, almost.  I love mine
because it fits my hand nicely and my fingers fall on the controls easily.  I
love mine because I don't have to flatten my nose holding the camera for a
horizontal photo.  None of these reasons has anything to do with the question
of measurable superiority to any other camera systems.  I have tried many
different cameras in the past and at present I am using my Leica M-2, and
Olympus OM4-T,  a Contax G2,  a SuperIkonta B 532-16, a Fuji 645s, a Rolli-t,
a Bronica rtsi, and a Nikon digital camera, and a couple of Olympus point and
shoots.  I have a 5x7 I have not yet tried, maybe some day.  But after all is
said and done, I seem to always come back to a Leica.  I have agonized over
why, and I can only say that in the final analysis it fits me and my
photographic style and being such high quality is really just a big
scrumptious bonus, because even if it is proven that camera x is better made,
and has better lenses, I doubt it would change my love for my Leica in any
way.
John