Subject: Re: [Leica] Gandy vs. Puts
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:44:41 -0800

Right you are Mark.

That's why your grandly built M6

1) went through more than its share of film counter problems several years
ago when Leica changed to plastic components to save costs
2) why there are so many reports of unusually high M6 TTL battery consumption
on the LUG
3) why all the best repair people that I have talked to, who don't want to be
named because they don't want to piss Leica off, are unanimous in the M6
being a less well made camera.
4) why the M6 's RF/VF has a flare problem which has been a topic of
conversation for years on the LUG -- just check the archives.  It's cause is
a change in the M rangefinder/viewfinder during the M4-2 run to lower
production costs (parts were taken out)  -- and this was confirmed by the
head of Repair at Solms

The gibberish is yours Mark.  Not that you can't be a fine source of
information, but you stubbornly refuse to see the obvious when you don't want
to, and become abusive to those who do.   On the other hand, maybe you really
can't tell the difference.

I didn't say the M6 is not an excellent camera, it is. The problem is that it
is not as well built, in functional or cosmetic terms, as the M4 and  earlier
M's.   I like this string, it's a  LUG oldie that comes up at least once a
year.

Stephen Gandy