Subject: Re: [Leica] re: Photographic skills
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:35:01 -0500

At 02:06 PM 1/18/2000 -0600, Larry Kopitnik wrote:

>I'm missing something here. If in real-world photography, using a camera
>and lens the way I'm going to use it day in and day out, I will not be able
>to tell the difference between a photo taken with, say, a $2000 50 mm
>Summilux and a $300 50 f/1.4 Nikkor or EOS, why in heaven's name should I
>-- or anybody not made out of money -- spend $1700 more for the Summilux?
>Because a bench test says the $2000 lens is better? Baloney! I'm not going
>to test the resulting photo, I'm going to look at it. And if that $2000
>lens does not deliver a difference I can see, I'm clearly better off
>spending my money on the $300 lens and $1700 worth of film, then taking a
>bunch of photos.

Larry,

You are toying with the prayer Liam Dunn chants in BLAZING SADDLES to the
effect that, "Oh, Lord, will you give us the strength to accomplish this
great task or are we just JERKING OFF".

Think about it.  As a professional, are you doing 5x7 seaside snaps for
tourists?  Then, hell, a Kodak box camera is great for you, one of those
disposable things.  Are your doing real professional shots which are
intended for extended use by a client?  Then go with the Leica.  Nothing
more embarrassing than selling a photograph for Big Bucks and having the
client blow it up to a decent size (20" by 24" or so) and having it get
fuzzy of a sudden.  Makes you look like Joe Moron.

Best to spend the extra money to make certain your photography is as good
as you think it is.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!