Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LUGPhotographic skills
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:22:13 -0800

Printmaking is a fine art, and a demanding craft.
I can print an old neg taken with my Nikons and if the gods of photos are
smiling down upon me I'll do an inspired excellent print. Sometimes I'm good,
other times I'm great... and I'm talking about the darkroom. (And I do have
plenty of bad days too)
If I then make another print from a more recent neg and it is very good, nothing
very much wrong with it, but not inspired. A full scale full substance print.
But lacking zing. My developer is not quite a fresh, who knows?  I blew my wad
on the previous print. How much genius can you put out in one day?
So the second OK print was from a Leica M lens. But that print is just ok not
great. Good not great.
Now look at them both. Which one was taken with the Leica?
If we were Leica fans we would lean toward the more excellently rendered image
won't we?
And pick wrong.
Unless we have great intuitive spoon bending skills or are plugged into optical
considerations the mainstream are not; as to special flair characteristics.
So I'm more into what people are saying about comparing slides on the light
table and direct comparisons.
Leica images standing out like this have a proven track record.

So what would make an impression to go Leica to a guy who has not done so and
has always insisted that they are just not worth it and has always used the
cameras other people have given him?

A print test like that might even do that, might not.
What does it take to make a certain individual actually go out and spend a lot
of money on a Leica M6 and a Lens when he is obviously not particularly inclined
to do so?
Not my efforts.
Mark Rabiner