Subject: RE: [Leica] Photographic skills
From: "Garrelfs, R (Rick)" <Rick.Garrelfs@utc.rabobank.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:04:41 +0100

> Here we have the bottom line of the age-old discussion if we can see
> the quality of Leica lenses in itself and compared to other marques.
> I fully  agree with Jonathan's statement that if a lens gives better

> Mike's test is set up to see if one can detect differences between
> pictures taken with lens A and lens B. His conclusion is that if one
> cannot see any difference, the lens is not better or we are not able
> to see it, therefore it is not relevant. Given the above statement,
> the test (if and when properly set up and executed) will only allow
> for one conclusion. If pictures taken with two lenses that are proven
> to have different optical quality by a properly conducted optical
> test, can not be distinguished by several expert  observers as such,
> then the pictures are below the required standard of photographic
> quality.

I thought that (in my words) his thesis was that in normal use, even by an
experienced photographer and developer/printer, the pictures will
*invariably* be so far below the 'required standard of photographic quality'
that, in effect, you will not be able to tell the differences in the lens's
ability to form a picture anyhow.

Strictly speaking, I think your statement above is correct.

> Statistically at
> least 30% will identify correctly the pictures taken with a Leica. (
> 3 of 10 pictures are Leica pictures, so any random choice has a 3 to
> 10 chance of being correct).

No. The chances of randomly selecting *all three* are in fact a bit smaller
than 1 in 100..
(3 out of 10, times 2 out of 9, times 1 out of 8)

> If Mike's ten samples of prints included
> no Leica print some would identify some print as taken with Leica
> equipment. If all ten prints are Leica prints some would identify a
> Leica print as taken with  non-Leica equipment.

I Think this thread is very interesting and this has led to a lively, well
thought out and well put discussion. And all that with a sense of humour. I
also feel that both Mike Johnston and you are absolutely right in your
arguments, but that you are talking about two different animals.

Kind regards,

Rick Garrelfs