Subject: Re: [Leica] Battery for M6 (long, and maybe useless!)
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:42:21 EST

I was afraid for the first time coming through customs here in America. I had
"a lot" of cells with me and no receipt!
The self discharge slows down at reduced temperatures in most batteries. I am
not 100% sure of the mercury chemistry, but don't believe it to be any
different. I would put them in sealed plastic bags for moisture protection,
and refridgerate (not freeze) them. They should last  for years this way. The
expected life from a Varta mercury cell, the only ones I've bought in the
recent past, has been great. I've been changing them out after 3 years or
when I feel guilty. But I took a Duracell (maybe made in China) 625 out of a
Rollei 35 that I stored in the fridge since they had stopped selling them.
The total time since purchase of the cell must have been at least 7 years.
YMMV

BTW you can tell when Duracell makes their batteries. They stamp them on the
back with a code. It goes like this 9A31XXX. This would mean produuced in the
year 99, the first month(A) and packaged on the 31st.

I promised months ago to let you know when I was in Belgium, but havn't been
there since!
Bruce Bowman
Killingworth CT

In a message dated 1/15/00 11:32:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,