Subject: [Leica] Re: LUGcentury lists(How about Kertesz?)
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:25:09 -0500

> From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: [Leica] Re: LUGcentury lists(How about Kertesz?)

> In my view "The Photographer of the Century" is Capa's(and my)
> fellow-hungarian:ANDRE' KERTESZ. In his long and creative life he had
worked
> with a variety of cameras, including Leicas. From his early photographs in
> Hungary,through the Parisian years, and concluding as an octagenarian
master
> from his apartment window overlooking Washington Square in Manhattan,
> Kertesz captured  the "decisive moment" with a deep and abiding
compassion.
> In comparison with the warmth radiating from Kertesz's images, HCB's
photos
> seem to be very clever though cold and somewhat cynical.

Agreed, Kertesz is a truly great photographer, but your last sentence is
outrageously narrow-minded. And what's the point of letting such a statement
stand alone? If you're going to grandstand, at least have the decency to
quantify it. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but if you're going to
throw out your view that HCB is cold and cynical, do the rest of us a
courtesy of standing behind your comments and sharing with us your
rationale.
DGF PHOTOGRAPHY
http://home.golden.net/~tekapo