Subject: Re: [Leica] A more interesting question
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:49:40 -0700

I personally think in answering this question we reveal more about ourselves
than anything else. Being a shy bashful recluse I will not offer an answer
but would life to comment on the idea that HCB's portraits are "weak." I
find his portraits to be breathtakingly illuminating, emotionally rich and
among the best portrait work ever done. His portrait of a young Truman
Capote tells the viewer Capote's future life story in just a glance. Why
even the obvious flare is illustrative of Capote's life. A "zone"
photographer must wince when he sees HCB's work; but to judge the whole work
by its technical flaws is a small way of looking at emotionally rich
pictures. One would be equally crass if one called AA's work "pretty." I
could go on but would like to add one comment on the question of the best
photographer of the last (and this upcoming century): it is not me!

John Collier