Subject: Re: [Leica] Get rid of SLR's?
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:07:29 -0700

Chris Birmele wrote:

> I am about to join Leicaland and would like to get some advise if I should
> get rid of my (heavy) Canon equipment (I own a couple of F1-N with lenses
> ranging from 24-200mm).  I often hear that SLR's and Rangefinder complement
> each other.  If yes in what respect?

In real life I find it harder to justify having two 35mm outfits and
with some regrets I sold off my Nikon. I'm glad that I did because I was
then forced to focus on learning the M well, and I had fewer
distractions as I built up the M system. It would be very tempting to
buy some relatively inexpensive Canon glass instead of Leica, but that
doesn't solve your basic weight issue does it. Also consider turning in
the F1 for newer EOS gear for the weight savings.

It's perfectly normal to wonder if you've gone nuts by spending a a
great deal of money on a Leica which actually does less than the camera
you already own but in my case, the story's a happy one because I carry
and use the M6 much more than I ever did the Nikon F4s--lovely camera,
but try hauling that around every day with a fast zoom or two!
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado
http://www.boulder.net/~4season