Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Camera of the century? Why!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:41:18 +0000

I have to agree with Eric here....And not because I am a Leica shooter...

If there is going to be a "camera of the Century" - and, yes, it's a silly
concept - I believe that that camera should be the Leica rangefinder...Not
necessarily because it did or didn't take the most important photos of the
Century, but because it philosophically made them possible. The original
Leica, more than any other camera, physically made possible, and made
possible the idea of, the photographer as unobtrusive observer and recorder
of the human condition. First came the Leica, then came HCB, Eisenstadt,
Capa, etc. etc. etc., and then came the Contax and Nikons and Canons, etc.
etc......This isn't one to loose sleep over, God knows, nor is it one to
take time away from taking photos.....But I do think that, as silly
concepts go, this is a worthwhile one.

B. D.