Subject: [Leica] using a tripod in a helicopter
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:08:18 -0500

Ted Grant wrote:

Yes! However, Camera on tripod, everything is vibrating at same rythum,
therefore everything is sharp!  Think about that first. Then tell me it wont
work.  Careful now if you haven't tried it!. :)

ted

Sorry Ted,

I think you are wrong on this one.... if the frequency of the vibration was
slow enough that the tripod moved exactly with helicopter it would be
possible ...but that would only be valid for shots inside the
helicopter...assuming all parts vibrate at a constant rate throughout....

But the frequency of vibration is such that the tripod would hop ever so
slightly and the legs would either resonate increasing the vibration or
dampen it so the vibration would end up different... then you have to figure
in the vibration between tripod mount and camera... camera mount and lens
etc...

Theoretically if it was bolted that make it sharper... but you'd still have
some vibration between camera and lens...

Either way... neither is terribly practical or useful... (which is why we
are talking about this on the lug) ba-doom boom...

Thank you, thank you very much...

Duane