Subject: Re: [Leica] was:Oh, yeah/ now heli & tripod
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:29:38 -03-30

At 08:57 PM 10/01/00 -0500, you wrote:
>My favorite technique for shooting from Helicopters was to loosten the belt,
>tape the buckle shut, sit in the open door with feet on the strut.

         I hate to state the obvious guys, but.....

If you are shooting from helicopters with doors off (or any elevated
positions)  must be prepared to do the job and not risk your life.

SAFETY HARNESSES!!!!  .... for you and tie off straps for camera, light
meters and anything else which can fall .... or sucked up into rotor blades
in the case of helicopters.
(explain THAT one to the client)

Harness goes on you and is secured to helicopter by TWO!!! straps. Camera
straps are run through carabineer attached to the vest or chest strap of
the harness.

When it is time to reload cameras go inside the helicopter to a place where
dropped film will not go out the door. The door will still be open because
pilots don't like opening and closing the door in flight.  This is usually
done before flight.

...that's the safety sermon.

OH, YEAH!  ...one more safety suggestion.... through your tripod out of the
helicopter BEFORE you take off. :^)

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart