Subject: [Leica] Voigty R
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:30:58 -0000

Hi

Ken wrote

>The viewfinder is 1.0x, thus the rangefinder base length is somewhere in
>the mid 30mm.  It is longer than CL or even CLE, but falls short that of
>0.72x M bodies, and also Konica Hexar

Now there's interesting! If the above is true, then Cosina might actually
steal a march on Leica (ducks). A 1:1 viewfinder opens all sorts of
possibilities for working with both eyes open (and not walking into
lamp-posts).

A 1:1 viewfinder that accommodates 35mm would be interesting in itself, but
looking at the pics of the new Voigty R, that appears to be one hell of an
exit pupil- makes my M2 and M3 look teeny. Now, if what Cosina have come up
with is a 1:1 display with 35mm field of view  _and_ High Eyepoint viewing,
then that really is something interesting, and it would to some extent
compensate for the short RF base (Which I personally think is unfortunate,
but which may have been forced on Cosina by the limitations of the basic
body they were working with. One would hope that if this camera is a great
success, Cosina would develop a Mk2 R body which addresses issues like
this.)

Cosina have already established a good reputation with the finders for the
Bessa L- it could be that this is a real strength in their suit.

Construction looks a bit cheesy to me, but then I'm known to be fussy; there
have been a lot of comments about weakness in the Bessa L build quality- it
will be interesting to see what if anything has been done to address this in
the R.

I would really like to know more; so please, you guys who've already put
hands in pockets, post us the reports.

Cheers

Rod