Subject: Re: [Leica] Instinct?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 08:26:02 -0700

on 8/1/00 7:45 am, Gaifana@aol.com at Gaifana@aol.com wrote:

> Sometimes a camera is just a camera.
>
> Someone was talking about Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Speaking of
> millimeterage, has anyone on this group notice that when two men carrying
> cameras, and especially Leicas, Contax Gs or anything with a one-touch zoom,
> walk into the same room they will almost instinctively look at and evaluate
> each other's (photo) equipment? When I have been out sightseeing I have
> observed this worldwide (I keep my LTM gear in my coat pocket, because many
> types resembling child molesters will tend to ask questions about anything
> that remotely looks like a Leica). Is there some kind of substitution going
> on?!

Well in my neck of the woods, M cameras attract very little attention
(predatory or otherwise). Most amateurs and pros up here have had very
little exposure to Leica Ms and seem to write them off as p&s cameras (like
an old Canon SureShot). My most frequent comments are: " So where are you
from?" and "Are you enjoying your stay in Edmonton?". These are followed
closely by: "Hey! The flash did not go off." People found my big SLRs much
more intimidating in the "substitution" swing of things and now must assume
my "performance" will be lacking as I presently carry only Ms. Occasionally
someone recognizes the cameras but not very often. Once  a chap came up and
asked if he could handle my Ms and I cheerfully obliged him (seemed harmless
enough to me). With M cameras you get the best of both worlds: great
pictures and your subject's sympathy as you could not afford a "real"
camera.

John Collier, (who looks suspiciously like a child molester when he sees LTM
stuff too)