Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Millennium Greetings!
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:58:32 +0100

Hi!
Whaddaya mean that 1000 years have not passed? You just wrote that there
was at least one year before the 1. Do you think that we still live in the
´nineties? Actually you can start your millennium anytime you like because
from every point of time it is possible to count backwards 1000 years - or
how many years you want. The same possibility was available to monk
Dionysios Exiquus in AD 525 and pope Gregory.
This is what I snipped from another list: "In English, according to the
American Heritage College Dictionary: A millennium is any period of 1,000
years. The period can be measured from any starting point that you want.
Using it to specify periods that begin with at midnight plus epsilon on 1
January of a "0 year" is a special case of the general definition.  That's
why this argument is such a hoot ... everyone is right.  It's whichever
millennium you decide you want it to be based on where you want to start
measuring."
All the best!
Raimo
Photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen

- ----------
> From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Millennium Greetings!
> Date: 03. tammikuuta 2000 15:22
>
> The Lord preserve me from starting silly threads.
>
> The common misconception about our present dating system is that there
was a
> year 0. The calendar was supposed to have started at the birth of JC but
the
> monk that started the whole thing had an incorrect time for JC's
birthday.
> His supposed birthday and the next year were the 1 AD, literally the
"first
> year of our Lord" (i.e. year 1). The year before his supposed birth was 1
> BC, the year before Christ. Reading the Bible carefully and examining
Rome's