Subject: [Leica] FW: LUG Education
From: "Stuart Phillips" <stuart.phillips@umb.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:59:39 -0600

Please do not email me off-list for threads on the list; as I know from
other threads, it makes it rather difficult for others to follow.

You have, I'm afraid, totally missed my point:

1. It is possible to speak of British education in the same way that one
can speak of Arab education.  Not to state that that phenomenon is
identical in all respects in all geographical areas, simply that there are
enough shared features to make the statement useful.  In this case I
suggested that a notable feautre of the educational systems of all parts of
the UK was that established and non established religions were both taught
in schools and expressed during school events, a significant difference to
the situation in the US.

2.As you say, Thatcher did not bring Scottish education into line with
English education; she did however, work tirelessly to reduce the power of
local authorities from London on north.  The fact that this came at the
same time as a more than fifteen-year period of English neglect of Scotland
does not change the issue.

I am an American Jew, (despite my name?!), and spent the largest part of my
early years in France and England. I suppose it is up to you what argument
you make from my background but at the beginning of a new century, it would
be at least encouraging to hear discussions divorced from the race and
nationality of their parties.

Hopefully

Stuart Phillips

(Grandfather, Frederick- Friedrich- Fischer- Steiner)