Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Identification
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 08:37:47 +0100

Carl,

Welcome to Leica ownership (delicious and expensive) and to the LUG (best
mailing list I have ever been on, despite the occasional guano eruption). The
following quote from the "Leica Pocket Book" should answer your question:

"It should be noted that only towards the end of the M4 production run were
cameras actually manufactured in Canada. Prior to that the majority of parts
were sent from Wetzlar and only the assembly work was carried out in the
Canadian factory. Therefore cameras bearing an engraving showing them to be of
Canadian origin are extremely rare."

Kind regards,

Nathan

Carl Lantz wrote:

> I been an observer of the LUG digest for several months now and have found
> it most interesting and informative as I am in the process of setting up a
> darkroom for my retirement (SOON).
>
> I just purchased my first Leica, an M2, and would like some help in
> identifying this camera.  Its serial number -10179XX, based on Stephen
> Gandy's list and Rogliatti's book shows it to be an ELC M2 from 1961.
> I assume this to mean that the camera was to be manufactured by Ernst Leitz
> Canada.  Is this a correct assumption?
> If manufactured by ELC, in Canada, should the top plate show that place of
> manufacture?  My top plate shows Wetzlar, Germany.  TIA
>
> Regards
> Carl Lantz

- --
Nathan Wajsman