Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tri-X incompetence
From: Robinsnes@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 15:18:02 EST

In a message dated 1/1/00 2:17:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, jim@brick.org
writes:

>  Jim, off to buy another Tri-X, Brick.
>
>  Oh no... the secret is out. I'm labeled forever. Everyone knows.
>
>  Jim (hiding his head in shame) Brick

Dear Jim:
    My condolences to you for having to use a product which is always
consistent, requires known filter factors to deal with it's response to light
of all known temperatures, does not get fickle, is forgiving, always brings
home the product so you can collect the client's money, and gives you the
satisfaction of making a print with full tonal qualities and is of museum
quality consistently.
    Get out there and take chances. Use films that do not have a proven track
record and to which the manufacturers only state that they have not tested
filter factors other than to say they are "different (per a Kodak rep at a
professional seminar)."
    Gamble with your trade and profession and refuse to be reliable. Leap for
every high tech thing that comes along so that you lose clients and have
nightmares at night. Then you can hold your head up high and proudly say that
you are a modern screw-up.
    This advise is given for those who think that tri-X is antiquated. Go
quietly into the night and stop shouting your prejudices into the air and
poisoning the hearts of new photographers who do not know that you sound good
but totally lack substance.

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com