Subject: Re: [Leica] Contessa vs. Leica IIIf
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 10:09:05 -0500

At 08:41 AM 1/1/2000 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:

>Does anybody know of a crack Zeiss camera repairperson in the U.S.? I
>may like to have this fine old object CLA'd every 50 years or so,
>whether it needs it or not.

Mike

I've had Contessas overhauled by Ken Ruth and John Van Stelten, and I am
certain WW Umbach would do a fine job as well.  Oh, and Essex comes highly
recommended for older German gear, as well, though I've never used them.

I routinely pick up Zeiss Ikon cameras twenty years older than yours which
function perfectly -- there is no reason an adequately manufactured
mechanical camera shouldn't continue to work, although slow speeds
sometimes lag a bit until some dry-firing returns them to battery.

Could I trouble you for the body and lens serial number for the Zeiss
Historica Society archives?  And the Compur number, if you can read it:  it
is on the outer rim facing the front standard, and is quite difficult to read.

Finally, the early Contaflex I and II and the Contessa 35 all shared a male
("screw-over") 27mm filter thread.  Zeiss Ikon did make a full range of
hoods and filters to fit these, and both Ednalite and Tiffen made Series V
adapters with this odd thread.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!