Subject: [Leica] Re: Incident light meter
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:32:43 -0800

At 04:29 AM 12/30/99 -0500, Jeff Moore wrote:

   >> Upon recommendation of many sage members of the LUG, I purchased a
   >> Sekonic L-308BII[...]

>I used one of these for several years.  Compact, a cute bit of
>industrial design, and it agreed pretty well with my in-camera meters.
>
>Finally, though (and this will probably seem really niggly) the
>startup delay -- the delay from flipping it on 'til when it would
>consent to take a reading -- got on my last nerve.  And I figured it'd
>be a convenience if there were an aperture-priority mode on the meter.
>I recently chose the Gossen Luna-Pro digital F as an improved
>replacement, and haven't regretted it yet.

The LUG has been extolling the merits of the 308 for years. Years ago, when
I wanted a digital incident meter, I looked at everything. Because of the
LUG banter, I looked closely at the 308. It took only 15 seconds to figure
out that the Gossen meters were hands down better. Far more user friendly.
Besides the "instant on" feature and killer analog scale, Gossen meters
have a feature that I have used to great advantage over the years when
using my 4x5 Linhof in the field. I don't always remember the light
diminishing factor of all of my filters. With the Gossen, simply hold the
filter over the photocell, push the button, and it will compute and store
as the proper correction value, the "filter factor." It is difficult (and
expensive) to bracket using 4x5 sheet film. Exact filter factors, as
computed by the meter, make filter use very easy. I have a Luna Star F
which is the predecessor to the current F2.

Jim