Subject: [Leica] zones etc
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:09:54 -0000

Hi

Thanks for some warm responses-  John Collier wrote

>If it was you Rod or Eric that gave the
workshop; thank you, thank you very much!<

I used to occasionally give workshops but gave up for a number of reasons-
lack of proper facilities, accommodation, and the signal unreliability of
the Scottish weather!- But I can't remember giving any in the US or Canada,
so I guess it wasn't me. Thanks for the sentiment anyway.

However, my wife and I are currently looking at setting up a business doing
residential short courses of 5 and 10 days based at a large country house in
a traditional village in rural France. We will be putting in a full studio
and darkroom, comfortable accommodation etc etc. Lots of markets and busy
towns and cities nearby, plenty of scenery, good food and wine. We are
looking to start running these in the year 2001.

As part of the market research I would really appreciate it if LUGgers would
comment on this idea, off list please, to save bandwidth. Any suggestions
will be carefully looked at, I can assure you all!

Ted Grant wrote
>However, I've never previsualized anything in my 50 year career, I
realise with static objects one can do that, but all the documentaries I
ever did, it never crossed my mind to "pre-visualize" other than if it were
a sports picture and I was trying to archive blur effect with slow shutter
speeds and moving athletes.<

Very nicely put. But again, you have to put the concept of
"previsualisation" into context- what if we just call it "seeing a picture"?
I'll bet that shoe fits better.

AA- who was responsible for most of this terminology- had a tendency to use
fancy words to describe simple ideas, bless him. All he was trying to do, I
think, was to make the things that experienced photogs do intuitively more
easy for students to understand (and for teachers to teach). This is
certainly the view expressed by Charis Wilson, the wife of Edward Weston,
who knew AA well at the time he was developing his theories.

Ted, I have a great deal of respect for your point of view, and I would like
to see some of your stuff- since I am unlikely to be in the US in the near
future, are any of your books currently available? And how do I get my mitts
on them?

Meantime best wishes to all for the 2000 celebrations, and the year ahead
itself.

Cheers

Rod

BTW- excuse my stoopidity- what's "PAD"?