Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Voigtlaender (new) lenses on old Leicas
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 06:31:47 -0800

Chris wrote:

>My experience is that the viewfinder does not fit into the shoemount of my
>IIIc, but it fits comfortably into the mount of the M2 or M3.  Maybe that's
>a unique problem, but given that the viewfinders are made out of plastic,
>you may want to not put too much force on them. >>>>>>>>

Hi Chris,

It's my understanding from previous posts that the new Leica viewfinders
are also made from plastic at an enormous price of 4 to 5 hundred dollars
for something that at one time, made from metal, 21mm, and replacable for
$90.00.

Heck the 21mm SA cost me a mere $318 CDN!

I know the cost of the old viewfinders well,lost a couple of them.  During
the construction of the huge Mirabel airport north of Montreal I lost a
viewfinder in the runway as concrete was being poured! :) And they wouldn't
tear up the runway to find it! Bloody inconsiderate I thought!:)

I also have a confession. I recently acquired a 15mm 4.5 Heliar and I'm
having a  fun time burning film at a lucy goosy rate of all kinds of things
and getting very interesting results.

It doesn't mean I haven't used a 15mm before, as I've had one for years to
use with R cameras. It creates the most incredible looking frames you can
imagine, mind blowing colour. As I only shoot B&W at any time in the M
cameras and now with the Heliar I'm going to load the R8 with B&W & Leica
15 for comparison. I'm sure it'll be an interesting.

>better lens cap fit (15mm lens cap always falls off due to the strangely
>shaped sunshade)>>>>>>

I think the answer to this is, throw the lens cap in your bag and forget it
until you put the camera away. ;) That's what I do and the M rides
comfortably on my chest for quick and easy use. Up, look....click!:)

The key to making the best use of a 15, fill the frame!!!!!!!  If you
don't, you'll throw away space. It takes a bit of getting use to with the
Heliar viewfinder compared to the Leica R through the lens viewing.

Forget the lenscap, throw it in the bag, it just gets in the way of your
picture taking thought process.  Worry, worry, always reaching to see if
it's still there or worse, looking to see if it's there instead of looking
for picture possiblities.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant