Subject: Re: [Leica] B -2nd response and meandering
From: Mike Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:34:26 -0500

Bill Larsen wrote:

> My best remembrance of using bulb and time on the exposure settings is from
> when I was about 8 years old and talked my grandfather into helping me make
> "flash powder."  (That was back in the olden days when you could buy a real
> chemistry kit and actually resupply it...you could make firecrackers, bombs,
> various other pyrotechnic devices).  My grandfathers's usual response to such
> a request was "let's don't and say we did" ... but that was usually in
> response to various ideas such as derailing trains, tying down pressure
> regulators on boilers, etc.

That's great, Bill!  I distinctly remember my Gilbert chemistry set, my decision
to move up to larger test tubes, and staggering to the basement door with a
bubbling test tube that was generating  _way_  too much chlorine gas!
Pyrotechnics were certainly a fascination, too.  I remember one Saturday morning,
my father opening the upstairs cellar door as a cloud of sulfurous smoke rolled up
the stairwell ... "What are you doing down there?".My stock answer ... "Oh,
nothing much" ... Good thing I abandoned the chemistry career for Leicas!
Mike Gardner