Subject: Re: [Leica] Decisions, decisions (on topic)
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 05:03:06 EST

I certainly concur with everything that Gerry has stated.  I recently tested
the Bessa L with the Heliar 15 and was shocked at the quality.   I used Delta
400 in Xtol and the three  frames that I chose to enlarge easily went to
11x14.  I hand-held the camera and was not exactly level on many of the
shots.  This of course is absolutely essential with this lense.  The
curvature of the eye piece made it somewhat difficult to align with a
vertical image. A built-in bubble level would have been nice.  This lens has
got to be one of the best values of this century.  If you are into wide angle
photography this is a must and at $2000 less than  the Zeiss Halogon it is a
bargain.  I was also pleasantly surprised by the Bessa.  Although certainly
not in the Leica quality category it was light and quiet.

Bob

<< I haven't been able to compare the Heliar with the older Leica lenses, nor
 would I have any great wish to, but I have been using it fairly extensively
 on my latest exhibition project and can confirm everything that is written
 about it. I am getting really good results, including contre jour images
 which are flair free and very sharp. I certainly would not want to be
without
 it now, and if I were in your position I would not hesitate buying one of
the
 Voigtlaender lenses. If later finances get better then you may wish to move
 to Leica glass but I think these lenses will keep you very happy for a long
 time to come.

 Gerry
 Gerry Walden (UK)