Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Forsale and WTB on the LUG
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 17:08:02 -0800

Well, I think of this business of running a mailing list as being not
altogether different from running a night club. While it is true that I
am the owner and putative dictator, it is also true that the list has
no value without subscribers, so I ignore the desires and feelings of
all of you subscribers at my own peril. When I first created this list
it took more than 2 years for it to get any traffic at all, because it
did not have a self-sustaining subscriber community. In the first 3
years that the Leica-users list existed there were only 524 messages.
These days it is not uncommon to get 500 messages in a week.

I have not yet made up my mind about whether or not I am going to take
a stand on this issue, i.e. whether I will ignore the issue, insist
that the rule be followed, or insist that the rule be eliminated.

I told you yesterday why I like the way it is, and I have read all of
the messages that people have sent containing their opinions. I'm still
thinking.

One of the things that I thought about today as I watched my children
open too many Christmas presents is that being in a hurry to buy or
sell things is often a bad idea.

Brian Reid