Subject: Re: [Leica] Question re: customs duty
From: MSwiek@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 14:14:19 EST

Hi Corey,

If yuo were travelling overseas and bringing the items back yourself, you
would be able to bring the first $400 worth of goods back duty free. The next
$1,000 would be dutiable at a rate of 10%. Therefore, the maximum duty would
pay on $1400 would be $100 ($1400-$400 exemption = $1,000 x .10 = $100).  Any
amount over the $1400 would then be dutiable at the duty rate for cameras and
photo equipment, which I believe is around 3%.  Since the items are being
sent to you, I believe the duty may be 3% of the declared amount, but you
should check with US Customs on this.  One of the best ways to do this is to
call the local Customs office at your nearest international airport.  They
wille in the phone book under US Government.

Mike Swiek