Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone System for Dummies
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:08:32 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> There is a two volume set of books entitled, "The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic
> Techniques of Photography" by John Schaefer, which has a very good
> description of the Zone System.  I have only volume 2, so I am unsure of
> what is covered by Vol 1.
>
> Dan C.

I'll have to check those newer books out sometime; I think it's out of
print but Schaefer previously wrote a book with the words "Zone System"
and "Practical" in the title, and it's one of the best I've seen at
giving you a seat-of-the-pants feel for the process. Look for it at your
library.

A real bane of a lot of Zone System books is that they try to tiptoe
around the issue of getting a densitometer, but folks, if you shop on
eBay, a transmission densitometer isn't that expensive.

As you learn your way around your new tools, you will be shocked at how
much variation your processing technique can cause--or is it your
shutter? You will finally realize why some guys roar with laughter upon
reading editorials containing lines like "It's the Zone System stupid,
not the Pinpoint System!"
- --

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado