Subject: Re: [Leica] incidently
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 06:10:46 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

>Don't you guys bracket? I don't either. I halfbracket. Which means that  in
>addition to the metered reading I don't do a couple of underexposures and a
>couple of overexposures, but just one additional exposure.>>>>>>

Hi Christer,

Thought you might wonder about this bracketing method.:)

Photographers of a well known magazine when they had money to burn, used a
bracketing method called, "Spin the ring!" I know of a few others out there
that shoot this way or certainly heard they have used it.

Goes like this.

First frame, shoot metered exposure: Set winder or motor drive and then
fire camera while turning aperture ring all the way open and back to
smallest opening as the roll is finished.

Remove film, bracketing scene is completed. Insert new roll for next situation.

When I heard this method explained by one who used it, I was kind of left
with, "gee maybe he isn't that good, after all he's bound to get the "ONE
MAGICAL MOMENT" within 36 frames of bracketing!"

However, I've not used it myself even though I pound through the rolls with
recklous abandon at times. In most cases with slide film I figure 1/2 over
and a couple of 1/2's under is sufficient, not always if the scene looks
like it might handle 2 or 3 stops under for special effects.

Anyone for "spin the ring?" :)  not me!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant