Subject: Re: [Leica] Spam on humpday
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:00:56 -0800

Mark,

With apologies to those who have been through this before,

The only rules here are imposed by the owner of the list. The Email sent to
each member when they join reads in relevant part:

"It is acceptable for individuals occasionally to post advertisements to
sell
cameras, and very much acceptable for individuals to post requests to buy
cameras. Any user who is obviously conducting a business in the sale of
cameras will be removed from the list."

A "for sale" post by an individual is no different than any other subject.
An attempt to limit subjects is a dangerous prospect. Not everyone is
interested in every Leica topic. Would it be acceptable to limit "R"
discussions to Mondays, "M" to Tuesdays, Binoculars to Wednesdays, etc.?

Common curtesy would dictate that any post have a reasonably descriptive
comment on the subject line. If you don't want to read "for sale" posts on
any day except Friday - don't.

A number of members have explained non-Friday for sale postings by saying
that they'd made a decision to sell or trade in and didn't want to wait. I
would think that this benefits everyone on the LUG. We get opportunities
that we wouldn't otherwise have.

Finally, I've seen some very venomous responses to what appeared to be
innocent for sale posts that didn't happen to be on Fridays. Those who have
followed my related posts know that I have never called for anything to be
off-list and I won't start now. But, imagine the reaction of a new member
who reads the owner's rules and, in complete accordance with them, posts a
Leica item for sale on, dare I say it, a Monday. Do they deserve the wrath
they've incurred? There are some who just have to try any exercise control
over the posts of others.

"For sale" by an individual is no different than any other subject. Even if
I'm not in the market, I find it interesting to see what stuff is being
offered/sold for. Post it when you want. If this drives anyone up the wall
the only conclusion I can draw is that they haven't yet mastered the
"delete" key on their keyboard.

Bryan