Subject: Re: [Leica] "This is War" David Douglas Duncan
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:15:15 -0800

Gerry Walden wrote:

>I have just bought the above book in very good condition from the local
>library sale for £2 ($3.20).   I was interested to read in the photo
>information that all shots (1951) were taken on a Leica IIIC but Duncan
>comments:
>
>"Every photograph ... was taken with a Leica camera but fitted with Nikkor
>lenses ... made in occupied Japan.  SNIP

Except for our wide angle and extreme telephoto lenses - above 135mm - we
... re-equiped with only Nikkor lenses.   The Nikkors that we found best
were 50mm f1.5, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5.

>As the Korean war progressed ... the reputation of the new lenses spread
>until, in a matter of only three months, there was scarcely a photographer
>working out of Japan who was not using Nikkors on his cameras.">>>

It's my understanding Marty Forsher adapted quite a number of Leica lenses
to Nikon rangefinder SP? cameras. Is there anyone familiar with this
adaptation during the Korean conflict?  Or after?   Marc?

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant