Subject: Re: [Leica] Incident light: A Question
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:26:59 -0500

I use incident metering for a majority of my commercial work. This
applies to both flash, ambient and combinations of both of these light
sources. I primarily use a Minolta Flashmeter IV with a Sekonic 518 as
my backup meter. I've had them both calibrated by Quality Light-Metric
and they are exactly where I want them in terms of my metering approach
and my primary E6 lab.

Now for the question as it relates to my Leica use. Upon recommendation
of many sage members of the LUG, I purchased a Sekonic L-308BII to keep
in my Domke 803 with my Leica kit. (I'm hoping one of the manufactures
will sponsor me if I drop enough names). I bought this meter because of
its compact size, particularly when travelling or doing street
photography.

Generally, I use the onboard meter of my M6 or try to guesstimate
exposures. But I've found when using the L-308BII that I tend to get
underexposed transparencies; usually in the range of 1/3 to 1/2 stop.
Since it's new I called Sekonic service and they said to send it to them
to check. They also indicated they have a factory tolerance of 1/3 stop.
Upon testing they said that the meter is within their tolerances. Now
one of the things I like about my other two meters is that they have
adjustment potentiometers within the battery compartment so I can tweak
them to my needs. The L-308BII does not. Sekonic said that since the
meter was within specs they wouldn't adjust it. Right now I just set the
ISO 1/3 stop less than the rating of the film. Probably, once it's out
of warranty, I'll send it to Quality Light-Metric and have them set it
to their specs.

My question, finally, is whether other LUGgers have experienced this and
whether incident dome size would have any bearing on metering accuracy.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/