Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V14 #21
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:34:07 +0300

Frank Dernie wrote:

> I am not as experienced as many on the list but I also have been using
> the spot setting for years. No reflected meter can ever be as accurate
> at an incident meter (unless measuring agrey card!)

As a matter of fact, reflected light metering can and will be *much*
more relevant than incident light values. Just think about high key, low
key and anything else in which you have to make a real choice or
otherwise force events. Who cares how much light hits your object. You
need to know the range of light your object(s) are returning to you, so
you can determine what parts you want on the linear part of the
film-curve, and what parts you choose to live without. This goes for any
premeditated shot of anything at all. It's reflected metering that give
you real spot-on information. Incident metering is only nice for very
average subject and for when you're in an unimaginative mood.

Bernard