Subject: [Leica] UK Bag Prices
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:36:30 -0500

I have spent time in a lot of 1st world countries over the last 25 years.
As I am a cheapskate I check Camera prices everywhere (and Hi Fi and, for
comparison, cars). The USA is, by a huge margin the cheapest place for
pretty well everything. One of the reasons Leica seems so dear in the US is
that Japanese cameras are SO cheap there. It is to an extent exagerated by
the fact that the USA and Canada are the only countries I know of where tax
is not included in quoted prices. American Hi Fi is 60% dearer in thhe UK
but European Hi Fi is tyically a simlar price both sides of the Atlantic.
Cars  and fuel are laughably cheaper in the USA. Fuel in the UK is $5.20
per Imperial gallon! (that is
I put it down to the fact that Americans are generally more price concious
and not embarassed to kick up a fuss if they feel ripped off!

re another thread, taxes are lower in the USA than anywhere else I know as
well! Shows what a successful economy can achieve
cheers Frank