Subject: Re: LUGRe: [Leica] Re: Exposing slide film at night
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:46:40 -0800

sometime around 12/20/99 5:59 PM, Julian Koplen at jkoplen@mindspring.com
was heard  to write:

> mostly an armchair opinion based on my personal comfort levels.  What I am
> wondering is if some experienced persons among us have made the comparison
> between Leica's classical "integrated spot" approach and the newer matrix
> thing.  And this leads in to my next question, which is just how many Leica
> photographers actually use or want to use a matrix method.  In this respect,
> is the Leica
> crowd a little different from the general universe of SLR users?  My
> suspicion is that the answer is--yes.

Well, it may be romantic to think so, but I dont' think so. Why? Because a
camera is a camera is a camera. At least in the process of operation to get
the photograph. Ergonomics aside, what do we do with a meter is use it to ge
the right exposure.

I use the selective meter a lot in manual mode. That's the most precise way
to work with an R camera. It gives you the most control in contemplative
situations where you have time to tweak the exposure. Where I don't, then I
prefer to use a matrix mode with negative film, becuase it gives me good
exposures in a range of situations that is useful, while allowing me to work
fast.

The right tool is what it's about.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

"You can't cajole someone into loving you by simply being nice to be
around." - Garrison Keillor - As heard on "A Prairie Home Companion"